Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Department of Agriculture Research and Education (DARE), Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India has sanctioned an additional Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) to the KLE Society, Belagavi, Karnataka. KLES has already carved a niche as one of the most leading education societies with more than 238 institutes catering to the needs of education right from LKG to post doctoral programmes in diverse fields of education viz., medicine (healthcare), engineering and technology, business management, arts, culture, science, commerce etc. The KLES, Belagavi has emerged as one of the most reputed educational societies and it’s deemed university (KLES University, Belgaum, Karnataka) is accredited as “A” on 13.04.2006. It has already entered into MoU with several institutes/organization in India as well as other countries on the medicine and health care besides several other educational activities. KLE society, Belagavi (Established in 1916) which was started with the great concern commitment, dedication and whole hearted support and persuasion by the seven outstanding teachers (Sapta Rishi) in early 19th century is marching towards celebration of its centenary. KLE Society is also committed to the rural development by imparting education on agriculture and allied activities to the children of farmers and has thus embarked on several programmes for the development of farming community. It has also already started School of Agriculture Training and Research at Belagavi a decade ago (1999) offering the two years Diploma course. Many of the alumini of the said school are taking to the self employment on agriculture and allied activities right on their own farms. Besides, the students who have already completed the said course have been rendering services in various Agricultural Developmental Institutes, organization and even the corporate bodies.
Functional Objectives of KVK
- To plan and conduct survey of the operational area through Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) methods and characterize physical and human resources with special reference to identifying the technological and training needs of the farming community.
- To compile all relevant recommendations/package of practices for the district to be meaningfully utilized in the training programmes and the follow-up extension activities.
- To plan and conduct production-oriented and need-based short and long duration training courses both on the campus as well as in the villages for various target groups with priority on the resource poor sections.
- To organize Farm Science Clubs in order to inculcate in the younger generations a scientific temper and an interest on agriculture and allied sciences and for scientific farming through supervised individual and group projects.
- To develop and maintain the campus farms and demonstration units on scientific lines as the facilities for providing work experience to the trainees, dissemination of the latest technical know-how and also as a means to achieve financial sustainability in due course of time.
- To provide practical training facilities of the Kendra to the teachers and the students of vocational agriculture of the higher secondary schools.
- To provide added training facilities in the area for home making and nutrition education for rural communities and gradually enlarging the training facilities to encompass other important areas such as home/rural crafts and cottage industries with the requirements of the integrated rural development in collaboration with the concerned organizations.
- To implement all such schemes of the SAUs, IIHR, ICAR and other related organizations which intend to strengthen the training and technology dissemination programmes as well as follow-up extension activities of the Kendra.
- To demonstrate the potentialities of various technologies and recommend for their adoption in maximizing yield/income per unit of time and area under different resource conditions.