The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) has established a network of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) in the country aspiring to act as the interface with farmers to identify constraints and opportunities, assess innovations, get responses and assist in adaptation and adoption of agricultural technologies and skills. Till date 706 numbers of KVK’s have been established by ICAR in the rural districts of the country.
Looking to geographical area and crop diversity in Belagavi district, ICAR felt need for one more Krishi Vigyan Kendra in Belagavi district to cater to the needs of farming community in the area. Hence, ICAR has sanctioned an additional KVK to the prestigious educational institute KLE Society during 2011.
The KLES Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Mattikopp was established on 30th September 2011 and has started functioning from 6th October 2011 on sprawling premises at Mattikopp village on newly acquired instruction farm of 25.20 ha land for carrying out various research based frontline transfer of technology (ToT) programmes encompassing frontline demonstrations (FLD), on farm testing (OFT) in field crops, horticulture crops, animal components, imparting hands on training programmes to rural youth and farm women on latest technical know-how.
1. On farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
2. Frontline demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
3. Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies.
4. To work as Knowledge and Resource Centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector in improving the agricultural economy of the district.
5. Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest to farmers
Objectives of KVK
- To demonstrate the latest technologies in agriculture & allied subjects with a view to reduce time lag between technology generation and adoption.
- To test & verify the technology in socio-economic conditions of the farmers with a view to study production constraints and to modify the technologies to make them easily adoptable.
- To impart training to the practicing farmers and rural youth by the methods of teaching by Doing and Learning.